It isn't the actual factory where they bottle the beer, but more of a really well kept museum where they show the process of making beer as well as the story of how the company came to be. The building was designed by american architects who made it to look like the iconic tulip shape glass that is perfect for the way Guiness settles. We learned about how Arthur Guiness took out a 9000 year contract [pictured in that circle] on the property when he leased it 251 years ago. Talk about a man who had a vision for success. While we were there we learned how to pour the perfect pint of Guiness which involves 6 steps done in 119.5 seconds.
After our little break we proceeded to the top to the Gravity Bar which provided an amazing 360 degree view of the city. It was really amazing, and such a great day!
Friday was a very busy day because we were turning in the first part of our projects to Brad. We met him in the city instead of on campus at the Powercourts Hotel, a huge center filled with shops and small coffee houses and restaurants - and of course a bar - that used to be the residence of the Powercourts Family. The building itself was huge, and used to be their summer home. The beautifully lit atrium that we were having our group meetings in was actually the stable for their horses at one time. After that our little groups split up. I grabbed a quick breakfast with Ashley and we ate on St. Stephen's green. We started feeding the ducks since I've been wanting to do it for ages
The other people didn't like that so much - and there really were a lot of people, since St. Stephen's is basically central park in Dublin. The birds also had a field day and at one point one of them literally flew across the pond sqwaking at another bird just to steal the french fry away. That was really scary. And yes...I had french fries for breakfast...
Anyways we were trying to decided what we should do that day when we stumbled upon some aggies. boo. But they told us that the Book of Kells was a rip-off and that we should go do the National Museums instead since they were free. We went to the National Museum of Archeology to see the bog bodies. Wow. They were insane.
So you're definitely not allowed to take pictures inside museums and I feel guilty about it. Oops. But honestly it was amazing. These bodies have been in the bog since 390 BC [there were 4, from varying eras, although not one younger than about 100 BC] They had been preserved in the same kind of pete moss/grass of the bogs that we had just seen in Glendalough the other day. Found all over Ireland, this plant forms a sort of naturally occuring formaldahyde that, when combined with the damp conditions of the bog, perfectly perserved these bodies. After autoposy reports it is sad to note that most of these were murders, and that these bodies were hidden in the bog as a cover up. Despite the gruesome tales, it is astonishing that the remains are so perfect that you are able to see hair, teeth, eyes, fingernails, and on the loose parts the organs, muscles and fibrous tissue. Fascinating if not althogether horrifying.
There were many other nice exhibits in the musuem, they could have easily charged 20 euro to get in as our A&M friends put it. They had exhibits of Roman Catholicism of course, and a long database of Irish names, an impressive Egyptian room with three mummies, aviking collection with a replica boat, as well as a prehistoric longboat that was as long as the wall. Along with all of these the museum itself was gorgeous, I wish I had gotten a picture of the atrium. Not only was the domed ceiling exquisite, but the floor was an impressive mosiac of all of the zodiac symbols.
Although we were hesitant to pay the 8 euro charge, we decided to go back to Trinity to view the book of Kells. I am so glad that we did! Honestly, the artwork in it is astonishing. I am not sure I can fully describe not only the intricacies with which it was made but simply the majesty of a volume of work so well preserved after all of these years. Although there are only 4 pages on display - so well gaurded that you can definately not take pictures - I would go back and look at them again if I could. It's sort of like in movies when they show a shot from space of one person and then they zoom out so you can see only the surrounding area, then city, then country. Except it's drawn. With inks from around the world. Surrounded by the most beautiful words - I'm not really up to par on my Bible verses but some of the words were simply the monks describing the awesomeness they felt at being so humbled as to be able to be the transcribers of the word of the Lord. But enjoy my video blog, it's mainly a slight re-cap of what you've just read but the best part is Ashley's little song...AWESOME
After that we rushed back to school to make it in time for dinner and dancing. We met Brad and his wife for dinner at a really nice dinner [paid for by UT/our program tuition] at Valapariso. It was so good! ha and we all got steak! Yum!
Afterwards, we were walking to the place where our dancing was going to be held when we were stopped by the ocean. We had a good 20 minute long photo session on the rocks while we watched the setting Irish sun. The weather was so beautiful we could have been on the coast of California.
Dancing was a blast. Personally, I could not look anyone in the eye without giggling because it was just too hilarious. Here is a video of Brad and Mei-Ling demonstrating and you can here the music, it sounds like square dancing.
Also pictured above is us dancing obviously. We had a great time but some of the people there went every week and were quite intense on the timing and stepping. There was also a wedding party there as well and we met them on their break for tea and scones. We had a special little dance for them at the very end and it was so sweet to watch! We were exhausted by the time we got home though so we decided to stay in just one night so that we could make it to Cork the next morning.
Unfortunately I didn't get any sleep for some reason and I finally crashed around 4. At about 6 I was summoned to go to the bus. I'm not sure how I was able to come up with the awesome outfit that will probably be the new European fashion trend on two hours of sleep, but as we ran 3 blocks through the city to make it to the bus depot on time I am positive that everyone was staring at us. The bus ride to cork took 4 hours so luckily I managed to get some shut eye. We stayed in Cork just long enough to grab a sandwhich and some wine before the 30 minute bus ride to Blarney. Here is my little video post:
After that we went to sit down in one of the little rooms in the castle and drank our wine out of little plastic princess cups. Oh the good life in Ireland. It really was an amazing but tiring day and we slept all the way back to the city.
No comments:
Post a Comment